All students are required to present their passport/ID card on their first day and the school may retain a copy.
You are required to provide, and keep up-to-date, your contact details in London and next of kin contact details in your own country and any other changes of circumstance that would affect your visa.
Frances King cannot guarantee a particular course, timetable until you have finished the entry test at the school. In the event of insufficient enrolments for a course, the school reserves the right to offer an alternative course of equal value. Frances King also reserves the right to change course programmes and locations without prior notice in the event of unforeseen circumstances beyond our control or if in the best interests of the school.
You are required to attend regularly and on time.
In addition to timetabled classes, students should also expect to spend a minimum of 6 hours / week on homework and self-study activities.
Students need to plan their holidays in advance – students will not pay for holiday time. Students can take holidays as follows:
- 25 week course, 4 weeks
- 28 week course, 4 weeks
- 36 & 42 week course, 6 weeks
- 48 & 52 week course, 8 weeks
- extra 2 weeks' holiday for those present during school holidays December 23, 2019 - January 3, 2020
Requests for a change to your timetable must be made 48 hours in advance (during office hours, 9.00-17.00, Monday-Friday).
Sometimes Frances King or our representatives take photographs and videos during our courses which may be used for promotional purposes. Please advise us at the time of booking if you do not wish to appear in any promotional material. It is your responsibility to absent yourself when photographs are being taken or videos made. Unless directed by your teacher, classes cannot be filmed or otherwise recorded without the permission, in writing, of a Director, Principal or Academic Director. Teachers may organise filming and recording to enhance your educational experience.
From time to time you will have a short, 5-minute meeting with your teacher.
- Course less than 12 weeks, no holidays.
- 12 weeks or more except examination preparation courses, 2 weeks/12 weeks.
- You must give 1 week's notice to the school.
- Holidays may not be taken within the first 8 weeks of your course.
- Homestay accommodation: you must give one week's notice to the school. Retainer fee to leave luggage: £50 / week.
- All other accommodation: you will be charged the full weekly rate during your holiday period and may leave your luggage in your room.
- Holidays and visas: if you book a course of 12 weeks or more and need a visa to enter the country and wish to take a holiday either during or after your course, you should request extra weeks when you apply for your visa.
There is no reduction in course fees when a course includes a public holiday.
First and second choice of accommodation
Please always include a second choice of accommodation on the Enrolment Form. Where the first choice of accommodation is not available we will book the second choice.
In arranging accommodation Frances King will be acting as agent for the supplier, as principal or a sub-agent. The status of Frances King in relation to specific accommodation will be explained on request. Frances King is not responsible for payment of any tax claimed from students by UK or foreign authorities.
a) Cancellation of group courses:
Before arrival: If you want to cancel your booking before starting your course or before arrival in the UK, you must give notice in writing. We will refund all fees minus the Registration fee £75 and the deposit £200.
Before arrival when a student is refused a visa: If you want to cancel your booking before arrival in the country, you must send us a copy of your visa refusal letter issued by the respective Embassy/Consulate. All course fees will be refunded less registration fee of £75.
After arrival: If you cancel or curtail your course after arrival in the country, there is no refund in any circumstances.
- Course credits may be given at the school's discretion.
- No credit for course cancelled during the first 4 weeks.
- If the course is longer than 4 weeks, you must give advance notice to cancel or postpone your course.
- Credits are not transferable and must be used within 1 year.
- Credits may be used to pay for group courses or private lessons at the school's discretion and if teachers are available, but may not be used to pay for accommodation.
If you leave because you are ill or because of the death or serious illness of a close relative, you may be able to claim reimbursement of fees through your insurance.
No refund will be given if a student leaves for what is an insurable risk.
b) Cancellation of private lessons
- You must give 1 week's notice in writing. You may apply for a credit for the unused part of the course. This may be used as part-payment towards any Frances King course within 1 year.
- To postpone lessons you must give 48 hours' notice (during office hours 9.00 -17.00, Monday-Friday). All late cancellations are charged at the full rate.
c) Cancellation of bookings made at a distance
For course bookings made "at distance" (e.g. via our website, telephone, email), you have the right to cancel, with a full refund of monies paid, without giving a reason, within 14 days (the Cancellation Period) of our confirmation. Cancellation must be made in writing by post or email within the Cancellation Period. We will not start providing services to you during the Cancellation Period unless you request us to do so in writing. We will refund fees paid within 14 days of the date of your cancellation request. In the event that you have confirmed in writing that you wish us to start providing services within the Cancellation Period, we will deduct from the refund, a reasonable sum for the services provided, based on the proportion of the course undertaken.
d) Cancellation of accommodation
Before arrival: if you want to cancel your accommodation before arrival in the UK you must give notice in writing. We will refund all fees minus the Accommodation Deposit, £300, unless the accommodation fees for the notice period exceed that amount. If so you will be charged £300 plus the difference. This also applies to students whose accommodation has been confirmed by the school and have had their visa granted.
Before arrival when a student is refused a visa: if you want to cancel your booking before arrival in the country, you must send us a copy of your visa refusal letter issued by the respective Embassy/Consulate. All accommodation fees will be refunded less an administration charge of £75, provided the correct notice to cancel accommodation is given. If notice is insufficient you will be charged for the notice period. See notice period (below) to cancel accommodation.
After arrival: if you cancel or curtail your accommodation after arrival in the UK you will be charged a cancellation fee of £75. The notice period required varies according to your accommodation type. See Notice Period to cancel accommodation below. There is no refund for this period.
In case of non-arrival on booked dates, when the school has not received notice of cancellation in advance, there will be no refund or credit of course or accommodation fees.
Course and accommodation refunds may take up to 60 days to process. Refunds cannot be processed until the school has been paid in full for all services booked. Refunds will only be made to the person or organisation that paid in the first instance.
Notice period to cancel accommodation:
Providers may vary notice periods during the year. If there is a change, we will inform you when you book.
3 weeks' notice: Lightfoot Hall, Pure Hammersmith.
2 weeks' notice: The Curve Residence.
1 week's notice: Homestays
24 hours' notice: Hotels
The Stay Club: 10% non-refundable deposit required to book. 2 weeks' notice to cancel after arrival.
Citadines Studio & Apartments: 48 hours' notice is required to cancel a stay of 7 to 14 nights, otherwise a cancellation fee will be charged of 2 nights; 6 days' notice is required to cancel a stay of 15-29 nights, otherwise a cancellation fee will be charged of 6 nights. 10 days' notice is required to cancel a stay of 30+ nights, otherwise a cancellation fee will be charged of 10 nights.
Chelsea Cloisters Studios & Apartments: 7 days' notice is required to cancel, otherwise a fee of 2 nights is charged. No refund is given if a stay is shortened or cancelled after arrival.
Transfer Terms and Conditions
- Flight details and your mobile telephone number must be received in writing before 14.00 (UK time) on the Friday before arrival.
- To cancel or change an airport transfer you must inform us in writing 12 hours before the flight arrival or departure time or you will be charged for the transfer.
- For last minute changes or cancellations, please phone +44 (0) 7768 325 391.
- A supplement of £15 will be charged for an airport transfer service between 23.00- 05.00. A supplement will also be charged for airport transfers on public holidays (and during the Christmas period) - please ask for prices.
- Waiting time of 2 hours is included in the transfer price. If you do not contact the driver within 2 hours of the flight arrival time, the driver will leave the airport and any request for a further transfer will be charged at the full rate. Waiting time starts from the scheduled time of arrival, unless the flight is early, in which case waiting time will start from the actual flight arrival time.
- Baggage allowance: 1 small cabin bag and 1 large suitcase per person.
- Please read your airport transfer confirmation documents carefully before departure as they include important arrival information.
16 and 17 Year Olds
- Students of age 16 and 17 study alongside adult students with minimal or no supervision outside class times. If closer supervision is required, we recommend our Teenager Programme.
- Students of age 16 and 17 without a guardian in the country must stay with a homestay. We advise students to book full board. They must book a return airport transfer unless a guardian (21 years and over) is meeting them at the airport.Students of age 16 and 17 should carry a letter of consent to travel alone and present it, if requested, on arrival in the country. We will send a form letter with the confirmation documents.
Complaints and Conduct
Problems and complaints with courses, accommodation and other services should be brought to our attention immediately so that we can help.
Frances King reserves the right to cancel a student's course and accommodation in the event of misconduct or unsatisfactory behaviour. Students will be responsible for all costs arising.
We will keep your information in electronic and paper format. Details will be passed to airport transfer accommodation and other providers as needed. Information will also be passed to UK visa and immigration and other government authorities if required.
Frances King School of English is not liable in the event of the school being unable to supply services to which it is contractually bound resulting from causes outside the school's control, such as, but not limited to, natural disasters, labour disputes, government action, pandemics and the like. Refunds will not be made in such circumstances.